Sunday, July 12, 2009

LARRY ELKINS - BISBEE PHOTOGRAPHER

Bisbee, Arizona is my hometown. Because of that, it has at times been difficult for me to recognize the town's true potential when it comes to photography. Yet I would encourage any photographer to explore Bisbee's potential. However, that's not what I want to talk to you about today. Instead, I'm going to talk about some of the photographers, including myself, who have made Bisbee their home over the years. I have photographed Bisbee extensively for decades. I know of no title I am prouder of than that of Larry Elkins - Bisbee Arizona photographer. You can view my photography and read my bio at my website, www.elkinsphotos.com. There is a link from this blog. One of the most colorful characters I have met over the years was the late Nicholas Devore III, an immensely talented photographer who shot extensively for Life Magazine and National Geographic. Nick resided in Bisbee the last several years of his life, and I considered him a dear friend. Google Nicholas Devore III National Geographic. You'll find all kinds of info on Nick and his work. Nick's lifestyle was off the charts, but he was an extremely talented man. I learned a lot from him during our few years of friendship. Another long time Bisbee photographer is Richard Byrd. An easy means of obtaining info on Richard is to google RICHARD BYRD PHOTOGRAPHER BISBEE. If you google Richard Byrd or even Richard Byrd photographer,you'll wind up being overwhelmed with info on Richard's great uncle, famed arctic explorer Admiral Richard Byrd. Richard, who early in his career shot the Beatles, has produced an immense number of photographs, many of them intimate photos of early rock stars. Richard, who moved to Bisbee in the 1970's still makes this his home. Another long time Bisbee photographer is Boyd Nicholl who presently serves as a Bisbee city councilperson. Google Boyd's name and you'll find information about his book of photos, BISBEE THEN & NOW. Another Bisbee photographer of note is Sandy Upson, a devoted conservationist a respected entomologist and an incredibly talented macro & nature photographer. Just google Sandy Upson photographer for oodles of info on this multi talented individual. I'll continue this list of talented Bisbee area photographers tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment