Sunday, August 29, 2010

RANDOM THOUGHTS ON PHOTOGRAPHY

PHOTO OF PHOTOGRAPHER LARRY ELKINS (YOURS TRULY) BY PETE LARKIN - I'm going to use this opportunity to just express some random thoughts concerning the subject of photography. I don't make a living from my photography. I don't even come close. In fact, for me, photography is a hobby, a serious hobby, that actually significantly drains cash from my already insufficient pension from government service. I would definitely be better off financially if I just shucked this whole photography thing. So, why do I persist in this seeming insanity? The answer is simple really. Over the decades I've been engaged in the practice of photography, it has become the focus of my life. And next year, I plan to completely alter my life largely as a result of my love of photography. I'm planning on relocating to Northern Thailand. One reason I'm doing so, is that it will allow me to live a comparable lifestyle a whole lot less expensively. But that's not the main reason I'm contemplating this move halfway across the world. The real lure is the opportunity to spend the next few years photo-documenting S.E. Asia. You may not be in the position I am in. But you may well be in a position to spend a week or two photo-documenting the Grand Canyon, or perhaps Yellowstone National Park. Or, how about photo-documenting your city; New York, New Orleans or say Des Plains Illinois. Or perhaps, your thing is to photograph cracks in the pavement that resemble peoples' faces. It doesn't really matter. What matters is that you pursue whatever project you choose with passion. We all recognize that the photographic universe by been forever altered by digital technology. However, I'm getting a little tired of listening to those who proclaim and complain that any untalented hack can now make great photos because digital cameras do everything for you. Well, this argument is absolute rubbish. Digital cameras are tools. The photographer's creativity and expertise are still the most important elements in the photographic process. Personally though, I do sometimes miss the darkroom experience. Overall though, I wouldn't trade the technology we enjoy now for film technology. And I do know this: The only constant in life is change. LARRY ELKINS - ELKINSPHOTOS FINE ART PHOTOGRAPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment