Wednesday, April 7, 2010

WHEN THE GREEN EYED MONSTER REARS ITS UGLY HEAD

WHY DIDN'T HE BUY MY PHOTOGRAPH? WHY DID HE HAVE TO GO AND BUY THE OTHER GUY'S PHOTOGRAPH? The other day, I was manning the floor at Bisbee's BizzArt Gallery when a group of visitors showed a great amount of interest in fellow photographer John Annnesley's photographs of abandoned, slowly deteriorating vehicles. As they were oohing and ahing over John's photographs, I commented, "Well, as a photographer, I can tell you this. I hate him." I then laughed. John and I are friends. I have a huge amount of respect for John's photography. My comment was made in jest. However, I have, unfortunately, encountered artists who quite seriously exhibit symptoms of jealousy when it comes to other artists' work. It's easy to fall into the WHY trap. Why did so-and-so buy John's photograph and not mine? Why did that person brag on Judy's photograph and not mine? Our fellow artists are in reality not our competitors. My photograph is not going to sell just because your photograph didn't. Art is a subjective commodity. An object of art will sell when that particular piece appeals to a particular potential buyer. Each shot you take is a chance to create something that will speak to that someone out there who is waiting to purchase an art object that speaks to that particular prospective buyer. So don't blame the other guy's artistic talent for your art not selling. Instead, work on developing your own talent and technique. Don't let the infamous green eyed monster rear its ugly head. Compete with yourself. Create a work of art that reflects talent and hard work. Do that often enough and a significant number of your artworks will connect with potential purchasers. If you fall short, the error is yours, not some other artist who is selling well. Larry Elkins Elkinsphotos Fine Art Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment