Wednesday, June 9, 2010

PHOTOGRAPHY FOR THE FUN OF IT

PHOTOGRAPHY FOR THE FUN OF IT - Why do I engage in the art of photography? The answer is simple. I do it for the money. I'm making a fortune from my photography. And if you believe that, I own a really nice bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you. The truth is, the HOBBY of photography costs me loads of money. That's right. And probably most of you, unless you're commercial photographers, fall into the same boat, A LEAKY BOAT, AND IT 'S LEAKING CASH!!! So why do we engage in the art of photography? We do it because we enjoy it. It's fun - fun - fun. I spent ten days in Thailand in February of this year photographing elephants, hill tribe villagers and Buddhist temples. It was fun. I was recently accorded the privilege of photographing a Vintage Baseball game. It was fun. In 2009, I had the opportunity to shoot (with a camera) native birds on an island off the coast of Ecuador. Now that was fun. I know how to make money from my photography. I could invest in the appropriate equipment and set up a commercial portrait, wedding, events business. That wouldn't be fun. Sometimes though, we lose sight of the fun that is inherent in the HOBBY of photography. Perhaps we begin to experience pressures that we have largely placed on ourselves. We begin to take ourselves too seriously. We forget that our primary goal should always be to enjoy the act of making photography. So, unless you're a pro and making photographs equals making a living, then taking photographs ain't worth doin' if it ain't fun. So get your booty butt in gear, go out there and have fun. Larry Elkins - ELKINSPHOTOS FINE ART PHOTOGRAPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment