Monday, February 8, 2010

CHIANG MAI DAY 7 - WHEN IS A FLOWER NOT A FLOWER


IT'S THE AFTERNOON OF DAY 8 AND THE FOUR OF US, CHUCK AND CURT AND PEGGY AND I, ARE MEETING IN CHUCK'S AND CURT'S ROOM TO EDIT OUR FLOWER FESTIVAL PHOTOS FROM DAY 7. CHUCK IS READYING CURT'S PICS ON THE LAPTOP SCREEN. IT'S THEN THAT ALL HELL SUDDENLY BREAKS LOOSE. "HEY, WAIT A MINUTE HERE!", PEGGY SHOUTS. "THOSE AREN'T FLOWERS. YOU SAID WE HAD TO TAKE PICTURES OF FLOWERS. LARRY AND I SHOT FLOWERS. WE FOLLOWED THE RULES. CURT DIDN'T." "I FOLLOWED THE DAMN RULES!", CURT RESPONDS. " CHUCK SAID TO SHOOT THE FLOWER FESTIVAL. THAT'S WHAT I DID. I SHOT THE FESTIVAL. I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG. I'M BEING MADE THE SCAPEGOAT HERE." THAT'S WHEN I BEGAN CHANNELING JOE WILSON. "NOT TRUE!", I START YELLING FROM THE SIDELINES. "NOT TRUE. WE FOLLOWED THE RULES. YOU DIDN'T. IT'S NOT FAIR!" THAT'S WHEN I NOTICE THAT CHUCK HAS BEGUN TO TURN RED. AS RED MORPHS INTO PURPLE, CHUCK CLENCHES HIS FISTS AND BEGINS TO RISE SLOWLY FROM HIS CHAIR. "STOP YOUR STUPID BICKERING!!!", HE BELLOWS. "YOU PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO GET ON MY NERVES!" All right. Maybe our exchange wasn't quite that rancorous. However, the fact remains that Peggy and I chose to follow the rules while Curt took his cue from his favorite Fox News personality Sarah Palin and decided to go rogue. It was no big surprise to me however that Chuck would let the rules slide in Curt's favor. As I was photographing flowers in the Chiang Mai Floral Park on day 7, as I had been assigned to do, I came across Tweedledum and Tweedledumber (aka Chuck and Curt) seated in the park guzzling xtra-large Chang beers while two incredibly beautiful young Thai masseuses sat at their feet casting adoring glances at them as they busily fondled the old coots' toes. Well, so much for an even playing field. Larry Elkins Elkinsphotos Fine Art Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment