Thursday, February 25, 2010

WRITER'S BLOCK

LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, I SOMETIMES SUFFER WRITER'S BLOCK. THIS IS ONE OF THOSE TIMES. I've been sitting here trying unsuccessfully to come up with something - anything - to write about. What finally came to me was this. Sometimes we suffer from photographer's block. Sometimes, we just don't feel inspired. We want to go out and make some pictures - but we just don't have the get up and go. And, worse yet, there doesn't seem like there's really anything out there worth photographing. So how do we get our groove back? Well, I can think of a few ways. The first is by taking on a photo self assignment. As an example, maybe go out and shoot interesting textures. Don't worry about whether you'll ever have a use for the resultant photos. The aim here is to get the creative juices flowing. Another possibility is to get in the car and drive somewhere you haven't been before that interests you. For instance, as I discussed recently, national parks are great places to shoot or (shameless plug) go to my website elkinsphotos.com and see if any of the images inspire you. ( Or pick out any other photo related web site). The thing is, sometimes viewing other people's work will give you inspiration. Remember though, the goal here isn't to copy. It's to use some aspect of what you're viewing to infuse your own work with a new vitality. Anyway, I hope this helps you. I know it helped me - to finish this blog post. Larry Elkins Elkinsphotos Fine Art Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment