Monday, February 1, 2010

CHIANG MAI DAY ONE


I began my first full day in Chiang Mai with an early morning walk around the neighborhood. I almost literally ran into two of Chiang Mai's almost 300 Buddhist temples. So that's how I started my day, photographing the temples next door. Once back at the hotel, I hooked up with the rest of our group, then walked to the Blue Diamond Cafe where we enjoyed an American - European style breakfast. I purchased what I thought was a moderate breakfast and was promptly handed a meal that would have choked a horse: eggs,bacon, sausage, ham, whole wheat English muffin and a saucer of fresh fruit. Of course, the internet had plenty of warnings against eating raw fruits and vegetables. We found that advice to be absolute rubbish. The fresh fruits and vegetables here are wonderful. Then each of us spent the rest of the morning wandering the old walled city joyfully photographing whatever intriguing subjects presented themselves. It was quite easy to stay within the old city due to the fact that it is surrounded by a moat. Most of the original wall that once surrounded the city is gone now. However, remnants remain, mostly adjacent to the four gates: north, south, east and west.. I obtained countless images of the area that comprised the ancient city. One of the most intriguing photographs i managed to capture was the buildings of the city reflected in the ancient moat. Another was an image of a Buddhist temple fronted with a statue of a full sized elephant. When I finished the day's shoot, I was faced with finding the hotel which is located just south of the old north gate. I was carrying a card with the name and address of the hotel. I asked directions from a young Thai lady who then proceeded to consult with two young men. They managed to convey the route to me and I proceeded on my way. HOWEVER, MOMENTS LATER, ONE OF THE YOUNG MEN, SEATED ON HIS MOTOR BIKE, SUDDENLY PULLED UP BESIDE ME AND MOTIONED FOR ME TO CLIMB ABOARD. OFF WE SPED AND WITHIN LESS THAN THREE MINUTES, WE REACHED THE HOTEL. I asked if I could pay him a few baht for his trouble. He laughed and shook his head no. We both bowed and shook hands, then he sped off. The food here in Chiang Mai is so inexpensive, it's going to be hard to readjust to the expense of dining out stateside. The cost of meals per diem appears to be in the range of twelve to fifteen dollars. And the portions are ridiculously generous. It' hard to believe what we have planned for the next few days. Next up is a visit to a Buddhist temple complex located a short distance outside the moated section of the city. The day after that, we'll spend taking Thai cooking lessons at a farm located in the countryside a considerable distance outside the city. The 900 baht cost (approx. 30 dollars U.S.) covers transportation to and from as well as lunch and dinner. The only catch is we'll be forced to eat what we cook. The farm's website indicates that most students, after pigging out at lunch, have little desire for dinner. So the school provides banana leaf cups for hauling food back to the hotel. Subsequent days' itineraries will include riding elephants through the jungle, river rafting and shooting a parade rumored to be comparable to the Pasadena Rose parade. My next journal post will cover our visit to a temple complex where artisans employ ancient techniques to produce intricate temple facades from aluminum. (Traditionally the facades were constructed from pure silver. However, the expense involved in using silver has become a tad prohibitive). And aluminum resists tarnish considerably better. But more about that later. Larry Elkins elkinsphotos.com

No comments:

Post a Comment